Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 2 in Peru! (For Megan . . . Titles are all in the rhyme :P)

Well, even though this is technically not my second day in Peru, it is my second day adventuring in Cusco. Yesterday, we went to the Academia and took placement exams in both written in oral form. I don't know how I did it, but somehow I was placed in a class that is much above my Spanish level. They were working on Preterites (past tense) which was something I had never learned before. Everyone in my class had taken at least one-two years of Spanish and I could barely comprehend what was going on. I think my teacher knew that I was way behind because she kept staring at me and asking 'Comprende?' Yeah. It was bad. Plus, the teachers here only speak in Spanish to the students so that we're immersed in the language, so I was only catching the basics of what was going on. I felt really bad because I knew I was holding the rest of the class back. Fortunately, I was able to talk to a director and was switched to what I believe is a Level 1-2 class instead of the Level 4-5 class that I was in. We learned new vocabulary words, listened to music, and played matching games. This class is much more my speed, and Jose, our teacher, is a lot of fun! He does things that I don't really understand though. For example, if we understand something, we're supposed to say, "Come agua." and if we don't understand we're supposed to say, "Come Coca-Cola." He also told us the words for "batman" (which I have forgotten) and said we should say them when we wake up and when we go to bed. We have no homework though, which is nice. :) I'm getting more comfortable speaking Spanish and find myself practicing a lot, especially around my host family.

Last night, we were given a tour around the city of Cusco, which was entirely in Spanish. Even though I was only able to catch about half of what was said, it was so interesting to see the vast history that is here. On Sol Street, there was a giant mural of the history of the Incans, which was slightly sad but absolutely beautiful. We were also able to see the walls built by the Incans. The rocks were shaped differently and in different sizes and slanted to protect against earthquakes. Instead of using cement, they used bronze nails. Many of the streets here are made of slate or different rocks cemented together, and they wind every which way and are narrow, especially going uphill. We were able to see the Plaza de Armas and the Plaza de Blais. The Plaza de Armas was once the center of Cusco and full of religious ceremony, but when the Spanish took over they built their own cathedrals. While here, we were able to see the national Peruvian flower, the Cantu, which is an orchid that comes in many colors. The Plaza de Blais is a center of the arts and also has an old Catholic cathedral. Pedestrians do not have the right of way here, so it is an adventure crossing the street. There are also a lot of stray dogs, which makes me wish that I could bring one home. =/ We have a free day next Friday, and they have added a third option to white water rafting or horseback riding:  another tour of the city and a tour of the museums! There's so much history here; I am so excited! Today, we are going to the market. If you have any souvenirs you would like, please leave a comment so I know what to get you! Tomorrow we are going to learn how to salsa. I love to dance even if I'm not very good at it, so I'm excited. Monica also said I have to go to a "disco" while here.

So far, I have been taking it easy due to the altitude, but I am feeling so much better today and am ready to explore. I think the thing I love the most so far is how friendly the people are. They greet you with a hug and a kiss on the right cheek and are so welcoming and affectionate! As everyone knows, I love hugs, so I feel right at home. :) Well, we have to leave at 3 for the market so I should go, but if you are reading this, know that I am thinking of you and miss you everyday.

Love always,
Chels :)

1 comment:

  1. Although, the blog post was great, the title is what really set it off. I've taught you well :P. Good luck with the Spanish. If you need any help, let me know. Obviously I'm not that advanced, but I should be able to help you (at least until you surpass me due to being surrounded by the language 24/7) :).

    ReplyDelete